Sacred Stones Ministries invites adults, both clergy and laity, to join in a trip to Ft. Washakie, on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming, this August. We will work on a variety of projects in the community while building relationships with those who live there. We will be working in conjunction with the Wyoming Association of Churches and their executive director, Chesie Lee.
There is always much work to do on the Reservation, and we will take part in repairing, painting, cleaning, mowing, weeding and feeding. But we will also be given the opportunity to know some of the residents of Wind River and learn their stories, their history, their culture and their faith during our stay.
Our hope is that this trip will be an intentional time to join hands-on mission and service with the building of long-term relationships and even friendships with the people we meet. We will also spend time discussing best mission practices: how do we serve best, do no harm, listen to what people want to tell us, and see where God is already at work so that we might join in God’s plan?
Most evenings we will have a speaker from the area and the opportunity to listen, learn, and talk about life in Wind River. Last summer’s trips included speakers from Central Wyoming College, the Episcopal Church, the director of the Northern Arapaho Department of Health, and a presentation on Cultural Competency and Spirituality from the Perspective of the Native Americans of Wind River. We will be working with the Wyoming Association of Churches on programs and opportunities for learning.
Rev. Debra Juarez will lead the trip, drawing on more than fifteen years of mission trip experience with youth and adults. Debra is one of the founders of Sacred Stones Ministries.
Some Details about the Trip:
- Who: Adults age 18 and up, clergy and laity, especially those in the ordination process of the United Methodist Church
- When: August 2-7, 2015 – Sunday evening through Friday afternoon
- Where: Ft. Washakie, Wyoming (northwest of Lander)
- Lodging: Wind River Baptist church in Ft. Washakie. We will be sleeping on the floor and cooking our own meals. A comfy air mattress or pad is recommended. Showers are onsite.
- Cost: $450 includes fees for materials and programs provided by the Wyoming Association of Churches, lodging, showers, and meals Sunday evening through Friday lunch.
For more information, contact Rev. Debra Juarez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-570-5180.
Edited: Registration forms and trip details are now available!
Visit our Events page to learn more.